DEADLINE : 31st December, 2015
The mission of this film festival is to inspire, entertain and most importantly, pay tribute to all wonderfully talented, inspiring kick-ass women out there. The Berlin Feminist Film Week presents a week of films made by women mainly about other females. We seek to increase visibility for all femtastic filmmakers out there and highlight films with strong female characters.
In the majority of all movies currently shown in cinemas around the world, women play the supporting role – behind, as well as in front of the camera. We want to put forward female filmmakers and films dealing with women in general, films in which women are portrayed as active rather than passive, in which women play the leading role and movies in which women are as strong, interesting and diverse as in real life. Often with a feminist agenda, but we also want to create a female filmmakers to show their films in general which is why we are happy to accept submissions!
Our ambition is to show a varied and diverse program with films from multiple genres from different parts of the world. Rather than excluding men, this film week is about including those who usually get less attention or space in the film industry. We aim for this festival to be accessible and inclusive for everyone.
We are now taking submissions for the Berlin Feminist Film Week 2016 which will take place from March 8th until March 13th. If you are a filmmaker and have a film which would suit our agenda, please do not hesitate to submit it to next year’s festival. We are interested in feature films, documentaries and short films which deal with the topic of gender and feminism in some way, have strong diverse complex female characters and more or less challenge the norm of mainstream filmmaking. Our main focus is female filmmakers but we can make exceptions in case the film has a strong feminist agenda.
If you already want to submit a film, please send us an email at Karin@berlinfeministfilmweek.com using the subject line BFFW 2016 – Submission. Please include the following details:
– Name of the director/filmmaker
– Country of origin and year
– Title of the film
– Language of the audio and subtitles available (one of them must be in English)
– Length of the film
– Aspect Ratio
– Category: short/feature/animation/fiction/documentary
– Format of the file (BluRay, DCP, digital, DVD etc.)
– Preferred way of submission: digital, post etc.
– Private link to a screener with password
– Synopsis of film
– Stills from the film for promotional use
– Trailer for promotional use
– Has the film been shown before worldwide/in Europe/in Germany/in Berlin.
If you prefer to send us the film via mail, please contact us for shipping address.
Our terms and conditions apply:
1. The submitter must be entitled to submit the film and the legal rights to screen it.
2. Submission does not guarantee acceptance, the team of Berlin Feminist Film Week will chose the films for the festival.
3. There is no submission fee.
4. We can not send back any material sent to us. If you wish to get your copy back, please do state so in your submission.
5. By submitting a film the filmmakers, copyright owners and distribution rights owners agree to have the film screened if selected for the programme.
6. We reserve the right to use stills and images for our promotion material such as the website or our programme.
7. Format can either be DVD, BluRay or digital and should have subtitles in English unless the original language is English. For submission it will be enough to send a link to Vimeo or similar with a password and once the film has been accepted, the format used for the festival can be submitted.
8. Official deadline is December 31st 2015, however exceptions might be made for late submissions and is decided on case-to-case basis.
9. Shipping costs / digital transfer costs have to be paid by the filmmaker.