DEADLINE : 19th September, 2017
Open call to media arts practitioners (media art, video, game, animation, manga etc.), aimed at aged 20-35 who have previously shown at international art festivals, film festivals, game shows, comic festivals, etc. to apply for the 2018 Overseas Media Arts Creators residency programme in Japan.
This residency program is part of the “Project to Support Nurturing of Media Arts Creators” organized by the Agency for Cultural Affairs, Government of Japan (Bunka-cho). Emerging artists in Media Arts (Media Geijutsu in Japanese) around the world are invited to come and stay in Tokyo to create new works. Whether the works are media art, videos, games, animations, or manga, during their stay the artists will be able to experience Japanese Media Arts culture, with an additional opportunity to meet with Japanese creators to discuss their works. The aim of this program is not only to support the creation of significant works but also to stimulate cross-cultural dialogues through Media Arts.
Areas of Practice: Media Arts (Media Geijutsu) including Media Art, Video, Game, Animation, Manga etc.
Programme Duration: January 12, 2018 – March 12, 2018 (60 days)
The following will be provided by the program:
- Travel expenses
- Living allowance
- Travel insurance
- Housing and workspace
- Location in Tokyo
- Assistance from an expert in the appropriate field
- An opportunity to present the works at the end of the residency
- Opportunities to meet Japanese creators
* No application fees are required, but the residents are responsible for the production expenses.
Expectations of Artists in Residence
- Creation of a new work: artist must create a new work during the residency, and give a presentation of their work at the end of their stay, either as a completed work or as a work-in-progress.
- Discussions with an expert: artists must meet with a Japanese expert regularly to discuss about the progress of their works.
- Participation in program events: artists must join events to meet Media Arts creators, participate in studio visits, and communicate with young artists or students at educational institutes.
- be currently living outside of Japan and be a citizen of a country other than Japan.
- have previously shown at international art festivals, film festivals, game shows, comic festivals, etc. Being awarded a prize or included in the Jury Selection at the Japan Media Arts Festival in the past will meet this criterion.
- be between the ages of 20 and 35 (not definite, as applicant’s previous career will also be considered)
- be able to speak either English or Japanese fluent enough to communicate in everyday situations.
- be in good health.
- be able to participate in remote interviews (i.e. have access to a computer with Skype connected to the internet).
- have no criminal records.
In the application period from June 13, 2016 to August 19, 2016 the organisers received 170 applications from 55 different countries from young creators around the world. Read about the most recently selected participants
For more information please visit the – Website