WHEN : 24th March, 6:00 - 7:00pm
WHERE : Artisan
Artisan is hosting a series of architectural discussions in celebration of the 2016 Tapestry Design Prize for Architects. Join us for a glass of champagne and gain insight about the prize from Architect and 2015 joint prize winner, John Wardle; 2016 Tapestry Design Prize for Architects judge, Alice Hampson; and 2016 prize finalist and Architect, Tony Jemmott. This event is presented as part of the Asia Pacific Architecture Forum.
- Sandra Kaji-O’Grady, Dean of Architecture and Head of School, School of Architecture, The University of Queensland
- John Wardle – Principle at John Wardle Architects and winner of the 2015 Tapestry Design Prize for Architects
- Alice Hampson – Judge of the 2016 Tapestry Design Prize for Architects, Architect, writer, and architectural historian
- Tony Jemmott – Design Director of Jemmott and 2016 Tapestry Design Prize for Architects finalist
- Antonia Syme – Director of the Australian Tapestry Workshop
This event is supported by School of Architecture, The University of Queensland in partnership with the Australian Tapestry Workshop.
About the 2016 Tapestry Design Prize
The 2016 Tapestry Design Prize for Architects (TDPA) invited designs for a hypothetical tapestry to hang in the National Gallery of Australia. There is a long-standing historical connection between architectural space and tapestries. The Tapestry Design Prize for Architects is a platform to strengthen this connection between architects and the tapestry weaving practice. On display at Artisan are the designs by the 13 finalists from 2016, including the winning design by Justin Hill from Singapore. Also on display will be the monumental tapestry woven from the design of the 2015 TDPA joint winner John Wardle Architects and commissioned by Judith Nielsen AM for her new Phoenix Gallery in Sydney.
This exhibition is part of the Asia Pacific Architecture Forum, an initiative of Architecture Media and the State Library of Queensland.
Image: Perspectives on a flat surface, 2016. Designed by John Wardle and woven by Chris Cochius, Pamela Joyce, Jennifer Sharpe, Cheryl Thornton. Wool and cotton. Photo by Jeremy Weihrauch.