The Trustees of the Art Gallery of New South Wales invite artists to submit paintings in competition for the Archibald Prize 2018.
The prize will be awarded, in the terms of the will of the late JF Archibald dated 15 March 1916, to the best portrait ‘preferentially of some man or woman distinguished in art, letters, science or politics, painted by any artist resident in Australasia during the 12 months preceding the date fixed by the Trustees for sending in the pictures’.
Entries in the Archibald Prize competition are also eligible to be considered for:
- Packing Room Prize – value $1500
- ANZ People’s Choice – value $3500
To be considered for selection, a competitor must comply with all entry instructions and conditions.
- Date of work: must be completed 13 April 2017 – 13 April 2018
- Eligibility period: resident in Australia/New Zealand 13 April 2017 – 13 April 2018
- Delivery of entries: 8am-4pm, 9-13 April 2018
- Collection of works not selected (EXCEPT if sending courier): 8am-4pm, 7-11 May 2018
- Collection of works selected for Archibald Prize: selected artists will be advised
- Collection of works selected for Salon des Refusés: to be advised
- Finalists and Packing Room Prize winner announced: 3 May 2018
- Archibald Prize winner announced: 11 May 2018
- ANZ People’s Choice winner announced: 15 August 2018
- Archibald Prize 2018 exhibition: 12 May – 9 September 2018, followed by a tour
- Salon des Refusés exhibition: 12 May – 29 July 2018
For more information please visit the – Website
Image: Winner: Archibald Prize 2017. “Agatha Gothe-Snape” by Mitch Cairns