BOLD, ARTISTIC, DARING and always tonnes of FUN , BRISBANE ART DESIGN (BAD) 2023 is set to highlight local art design luminaries with a program of hands-on workshops, open studios, design talks and arty parties activating three neighbourhoods across three exciting weekends.
Running from 10 to 28 May, BAD is an initiative of Museum of Brisbane (MoB) and this year marks the third BAD outing with more than 150 cultural events and exhibitions themed around Culture. Community. Clay.
Highlights include new commissioned clay works by daring local ceramicists Bonnie Hislop and Nicolette Johnson, exclusive dinners, fashion parades, laneway DJs and even chauffeured BAD bus tours.
Weekend One 12-14 May – The City: Highlights
- Botanica: Contemporary Art Outside in City Botanic Gardens – 12 to 21 May
- Clay: Collected Ceramics at MoB
- Pop-up artist studios in The City
- Exhibition talks at Birrunga Gallery and QUT Art Museum
- Live art projections at Howard Smith Wharves as part of Brisbane City Council’s Outdoor Gallery
Weekend Two 19-21 May – Northside: Highlights
- In Conversation series hosted by Design Institute of Australia
- Finders Keepers on Brisbane market for 2023
- Behind the scenes walking tour of The Valley’s most intriguing industrial, product and architectural studios
- Live art and food trucks at The Black Market Albion
- Ceramics workshop at Mas & Miek Ceramic House in Newstead
- Fireworks Gallery’s opening and carpark party of Halfway House, curated by Pat Hoffie and Lily Ether
- Up Late events at POP Gallery and The Station Brisbane in the Valley, Toowong’s Land Street Gallery and Superordinary at Northshore
Weekend Three 26-28 May – Southside: Highlights
- BAD Fashion Parade in Fish Lane
- Exclusive art dinner presented by ARA and Aboriginal Art Co at Southside restaurant
- Echo & Bounce laneway soiree in Wooloongabba with local DJs
- Open studios and workshops at Dead Puppet Society, Queensland College of Art – Griffith University and TAFE Queensland, Metro Arts, The Paint Factory and Bag End Studio
- Clayschool alumni show and market at Vacant Assembly in West End
- BAD Closing Party at Yeerongpilly’s Station Road Creative Precinct on Sunday 28 May